A number of current and former structured settlement annuity issuers have made the 2010 Wards 50® of Top Performing Life Insurers:
- Aetna Life Insurance Company
- Amica Life Insurance Company*
- American Family Life Insurance Company*
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
- New York Life Insurance Company
- Symetra Life Insurance Company
- State Farm Life*
- USAA Life Insurance Company*
While a portion can surely be chalked up to methodology, it is notable that some big insurance companies, rated A+ and A++ A.M. Best or those top rated by Weiss did not make the Ward's list.
Ward Group analyzes the financial performance of nearly 800 life-health insurance companies domiciled in the United States and identifies the top performers
Insurance companies are evaluated and must pass minimum thresholds to be considered for the Ward’s 50 designation. Each company must pass the following primary safety and consistency tests:
- • Surplus and premiums of at least $50 million for each of the five years analyzed
- • Adjusted net income in at least four of the last five years.
- • Risk-based capital ratio of at least 150% for each of the five years analyzed
- • Compound annual growth in premiums between -10% and +40%