by John Darer CLU ChFC MSSC CeFT RSP CLTC
Insurance groups that include current and former structured settlement annuity issuers represent more than 43% of the largest life insurance groups in the United States.
- Prudential (1)
- MetLife (2)
- New York Life(3)
- Massachusetts Mutual Life (4, former structured settlement annuity issuer)
- AIG Life & Retirement (6, soon to be Corebridge Financial)
- Lincoln Financial (8, acquired Liberty Life of Boston structured settlement block, reinsured by Protective Life, #26)
- John Hancock (10)
- Brighthouse Financial (15, includes legacy Travelers Insurance Company/ legacy MetLife Insurance Company of CT structures)
- Pacific Life (16)
- Athene (19, includes former Aviva, CGNU and CGU Life structured settlement business)
- Talcott Resolution (21, formerly known as Hartford Life)
- Protective Life (26, reinsurer of Lincoln Life of Boston structured settlement business-formerly Liberty LIfe of Boston)
- Genworth (30, roll up and spin off of First Colony, American Mayflower, GE Capital Assurance Company, GE Capital Life Assurance company of NY)
Source: A. M. Best 2022 List of Largest US Insurerance Groups, published July 2022.
While size matters, it is only one of the criteria one should use in selecting an insurance company to fund a structured settlement.