by John Darer CLU ChFC CSSC RSP
On June 10, 2010 Weiss Ratings updated its list of the strongest and weakest life insurance companies and annuity issuers. The following current and former structured annuity issuers made the list of the strongest annuity issuers. The Weiss rating for each company is shown.
- Allstate Life Insurance Company B+
- Amica Life Insurance Company A-
- John Hancock Life Insurance Company of New York A-
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company A (former structured annuity issuer)
- Pacific Life and Annuity Company A-
- New York Life Insurance Company A-
- New York Life Insurance and Annuity Corporation A-
- USAA Life Insurance Company A
- In case you are not familiar with Weiss Ratings, please note that "A+" is its highest rating
Also worth noting, there are no structured settlement annuity issuers on the Weiss weakest insurer list.
Weiss Ratings is the only one of the major rating agencies that is not paid by the company it rates to give a rating. Some say this removes a conflict of interest.