by Structured Settlement Watchdog
Here we try to provide a historical digest of trademarks using keywords related to settlements, structured settlement and settlement planning.
- Former Pittsburgh company Structured Annuities, Inc. registered SA Structured Annuities logo in 1984 and it was cancelled in 2005.
- Another of the earliest trademarks was " Structured Claims Settlement" filed by USF&G Insurance Company in 1991, issued in 1993 and abandoned d in 2000 after the company was acquired by St. Paul Insurance. It was a design mark. A review of the USPTO records shows that one of the design elements earmarked for protection included Farmers, Hobos, Farmers and Hobos wearing overalls. Definition of hobo "immigrant worker or homeless vagrant"
- A failed attempt was made to trademark the term " structured settlements" more than 40 years ago and abandoned almost 37 years ago.
- Several failed attempts were made to trademark the term "the structured settlement company". Ultimately as the applicants learned, the descriptive term structured settlement company is only able to be trademarked when preceded by or in conjunction with another word. For example ABC The Structured Settlement Company might work.
- The factoring company, Settlement Capital Corporation trademarked "Settlement Capital..It's In Your Annuity" despite the fact that it isn't in your annuity, it's in your structured settlement payment rights. The structured settlement annuity is, in most case, owned by a qualified assignment company
- An Atlanta Georgia law firm has a pending application to trademark the aspirational "Next Stop Big Settlement". If only it were that easy.
- An Atlanta structured settlement broker has trademarked "More Than Just Structured Settlements", a move to seemingly get out of the pigeon hole.
- A Ft Lauderdale Florida law firm has a puntastic trademark " A Good Settlement is No Accident".
- A Georgia settlement planner registered Structured Settlements made Simple" in December 2019.
- My firm owns " We Know Structured Settlements" and "4structures"
Settlement Planning Trademarks
- There is not much traction. There is currently only one active trademark using the term settlement planning, " We Know Settlement Planning", a mark of 4structures.com, LLC. Iwo other firms registred marks and then cancelled them. Another firm applied for 3 separate marks and abandoned their efforts on all three before registration.
- There is only one active trademark using the term "comprehensive settlement planner"
Structured Settlement Factoring Trademarks
- PV PRESENT VALUE NEWS & TRENDS IN STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT & ANNUITY TRANSFERS FROM J.G. WENTWORTH Abandoned September 2007
- Failed attempts were made in 2012 and 2014, to trademark the scam label " secondary market annuities". by merchants selling factored structured settlement payment streams. Both were abandoned.